Pages

Monday, March 22, 2010

Periyar Dasan, Moosa Kaka and Maryam Jameelah!

Kavi Yogi Thannan Moosa
Professor Abdullah, former Periyar Dasan, mentions him as the man who provided திருப்பம் - turning point in his life.

He is Kavi Yogi Kavinjar Thannan Moosa. Affectionately called by all as Moosa Kaka. He has authored many books.  சௌந்தர்ய முத்திரை - Soundharya Muthirai and வெற்றிச் சூடி - Vetric choodi were the famous ones. He used to prefix சௌந்தர்ய முத்திரை - Soundharya Muthirai with his name for some time. He was very passionate about Tamil, literature, books etc.

He has served Islamic Foundation Trust and Jamaat-e-Islami Hind's cause in various ways. He was never an office bearer. But, he was one of those workers who remain in the back ground and work silently. He was involved in the production of books and advised in literary matters. He was a close confidant, friend and colleague of Moulana M. A. Jameel Ahmed.

He has left Chennai and has made Thondi his home. It is his ancestrol village. Besides it is far more better than the callous Chennai and its selfish people.

I called him over phone and talked with him. He was very happy to hear me. He talked about Periyar Dasan, about the trips he used to make to Thiruverkadu to meet the Professor. 'His criticisms were very blunt, aggressive; and I used hear him patiently. I allowed him to pour out fully. Then I would say my version in a humble way', he said in a feeble voice. I could visualise the scene. Moosa Kaka with his typical half smile and twinkling eyes countering the polemics of the professor in his own style!

He was one of the notable absentees in the recently held First State Conference of Jamaat-e-Islami Hind in Trichy.
He could not make it because of ill health. But, a lot of people remembered him and fondly recalled pleasant memories. Ofcourse, if he had been there in Trichy he would have added colour to the event. When I mentioned this fact he concurred with it and mumbled something.
 He is yet to receive the Manattu Malar! - the conference souvenir!! He then hastily added, 'What am I to do with the souvenir? I cannot read now. I need a reader. Nowadays it is difficult to talk more than ten minutes.' Suddenly it dawned to me that I got him engaged in the phone for more than twenty minutes! I wished him and hung up.

Moosa Kaka is not the first Chennaiite who has provided திருப்பம் - turning point in some one's life. There are many more. I have read about one such Chennaiite or Madrasi. And this Madrasi had provided திருப்பம் - turning point in Maryam Jameelah's life. It is very fascinating and interesting.

His name is Janab C. Abdul Jaleel Sahib. He was a journalist, social activist, writer, translator and fruit vendor. He was Ameer-e-Muqami of Jamaat-e-Islami Hind Madras in the 1950s.

He was a prolific writer and spirited reader. At those days he used contribute regularly to a monthly magazine 'Muslim Digest' published from Cape Town, South Africa. He used to translate the articles of Moulana Syed Abul A'la Moududi. 

He had translated Moulana Moududi's article 'Zindgi bath mout' - 'Life after death' - மரணத்திற்குப் பின்!. It was published in Muslim Digest monthly. (I have seen this copy in Halqa Office.) Margaret Marcus of New York read this article and wanted to contact and corespond with Moulana Moududi. She wrote to Muslim Digest people. They contacted C Abdul Jaleel. Jaleel Sahib and he provided the address of Moulana Moududi. Then Margaret Marcus contacted Moulana Moududi. Margaret Marcus became Maryam Jameelah.
And the rest is history.

Read : Periyar EVR's views on Islam! 

Read : Seshachalam to Periyar Dasan to Abdullah!
Read : Periyar Dasan Abdullah's journey towards Islam! 
Read : Periyar Dasan's wife to embrace Islam!
Read : Am I ready to face my Lord? 
Read : Periyar Dasan, Valampuri John and Islam!

2 comments:

Azeez Luthfullah said...

The following is the email sent by Br Mohammed Azeem from Alkhobar Dear All,
Assalamalaikum,
I would like to share some information about Mohterma Mariam Jameela Marhooma, in 1969 I happen to meet an age old gentleman from MADRAS (Tamil Nadu) Mohtaram C. Abdul Jaleel Saheb Marhoom a retired Teacher , he told me that he long ago had translated in english the short booklet " ZINDAGI DAAD E MAUT" written by Maulana Maudoodi RA for free distribution , this booklet somehow reached USA and Mariam Jameela Marhooma found it. She wrote a letter to the publisher to provide her the address and contact of Maulana Maudoodi RA, the Publisher passed on the letter to C. Addul Jaleel Saheb Marhoom and he immediately provided the contact and address of Maulana RA to Mariam Marhooma.
C . Abdul Jaleel Marhoom show me the book "ISALAM IN THEORY AND PRACTICE" , on its first page it was written in her own hand writing , something like this
" I am glad to present to you my book , as your translation " LIFE AFTER DEATH" inspired me to discover Islam"
C. Abdul Jaleel Marhoom was a member of Jamat e Islami,
Once I had told Abdul Raqeeb Saheb , Ex Ameer about this and requested him to trace the book in the library of Marhoom.
Abdul Azeem
Alkhobar

Dr. Khalil said...

Assalamu alaikum. Please mention some more of the earlier events. I may need it to create a portfolio of him.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...